[Gdal-dev] 16bit Erdas Imagine(HFA) to 8bit GeoTIFF

abhay menon abhay.menon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:33:30 EDT 2007

Hello List,

I have a 16 Bit (UInt16) Image of Erdas Imagine which I need to convert to a
GeoTIFF file of 8bit (Byte).

I tried using rgb2pct.py and gdal_translate, also did try gdalwarp too. No
success!!

I found on OpenEV (with FWTools 1.3.1) that the raster information suggest
it's color ranges are beyond 255 per band which mean i have to adjust the
color value less than to 255.

Is there any tool or sequence of steps or instruction for gdal_translate or
gdalwarp, which I could follow to adjust the color ranges and convert the 16
bit to 8 bit image.

--
Best Regards

Abhay Menon