[Gdal-dev] matching metadata for different file formats

Kolberg Sjur A Sjur.A.Kolberg at sintef.no
Fri Jun 29 04:10:56 EDT 2007

Hello, Matt,

It seems that even your GRIB data hasn't got the Polar Stereographic info.

I have just been working with the GRIB driver, and I know that there is a new version coming which may catch some more projection info. The new version is not included in the latest GDAL (1.4.2) or FWtools (1.3.2) releases, but maybe the sources are in place.

Also, there is a hatch with data projected on a spherical Earth. People sometimes forget that the ellipsiod and datum are not only properties of the projection (from a curved to plane surface), but of the latlong coordinate system itself. Meaning; The geographical position 10degE, 60degN is not at the same place as 10degE, 60degN in spherical-earth degrees. The difference at 60 deg N is around 18km in N-S direction. You need to figure out if this is the case for your data. See http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2005-March/001520.html

Regards,

Sjur K :-)

Sjur Kolberg
SINTEF Energiforskning A/S