[Gdal-dev] Some thoughts on C# SWIG wrapper

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Fri Mar 2 18:47:55 EST 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> At this point I cannot see a real benefit altering the names from the
> point of view of the proper operation of the interface. However I have
> no objection changing the namespace and module names if most of the
> folks cannot really tolerate as it stands. I consider adding the same
> name for the namespace and the module would be confusing. Any ideas?

I don't have any real objections to changing things, and if other people
don't mind changing their code, then now is probably the time to do it.
So maybe we should go the whole way and put everything in the Osgf.Gdal
namespace, and implement the enums as proper enums. Note that the
standard .NET way of rendering acronyms in Studly Caps is to only
capitalize the first letter.

I don't personally object to keeping the static methods in a Gdal class
within that namespace either - there's precedent for it. But if we don't
want that, how about calling the class Util, or Core, or Misc or
something, so you'd write:

using Osgf;

Gdal.Dataset dataset = Gdal.Util.Open("foo.tiff");

Any of those names is fine with me. Let's keep it short though!

Sy