[Gdal-dev] Looking for huge vector dataset

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sun Mar 4 10:27:23 EST 2007

Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a big set of vector data, ideally available as public
> geodata. I mean big as including >= 100 000 number of features
> with geometries, preferable of type of polygon or linestring.
>
> If anyone does have such data and could share with me, I'd be very thankful!
>
> I'm going to use it *only* for testing and benchmarking GDAL/OGR,
> no other purpose (like commercial) is considered.

What I would be interested in having in OGR is a fast on-the-fly
overviewing. Right now it takes quite a lot of time to go through large
datasets like this for rendering. The only optimization I have
implemented in my visual code on top of OGR is to first check if the
whole feature is smaller than one pixel in the current viewport and then
avoid invoking line or polygon draw. I think there was some discussion a
while back on implementing Douglas-Peucker, but is anybody doing that?
Something like RaveGeo (idevio.com) would be cool.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka