[Gdal-dev] Exception class(es) in SWIG C# wrapper

Richard Matsunaga richard.matsunaga at waypointinfo.com
Mon Mar 5 17:06:51 EST 2007

If I remember correctly, many times in GDAL, a (C API) method will return
null when something could not happen, like opening a dataset.

In these cases, I would like to check for null and throw a GdalException or
OgrException, which contains the extended error message, up my call stack.

I could retrieve the error information and send that in any exception, like
an InvalidOperationException, but it's a little cleaner if we can
encapsulate the message details in new exception type.

It's something I would do in my own libraries, but it would be nice if
supported directly from the GDAL wrappers.

Cheers,
Richard