[Gdal-dev] ogrinfo *.mdb (Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN...)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Mar 14 12:14:35 EDT 2007

Yolan wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to read/convert an ESRI mdb to a set of shape files
> and later GML. The problem I'm having is that ogrinfo and ogr2ogr
> cannot read the mdb. The exact error can be found below. I've done
> quite a bit of digging and found that the current version of mdbtools
> may not work properly. I ended up trying several versions of mdbtools
> including the latest from cvs. With the latest version from cvs, I
> can export all of the mdb out to a set of csv files and a schema sql
> file, but still no luck with ogr2ogr or ogrinfo.
>
> The messages I've referenced:
> http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-May/009075.html
> http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.gis.qgis.devel/2006-10/msg00043.html
>  http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-May/009075.html
>
> The exact errors/commands entered: user at host $ ogrinfo ImpactMap.mdb

Generally,

mdbtools do not support DSN-less connection (what you can also read in
referenced threads above). So, the best way is to create a regular DSN
(see below).

I've hacked it for a while and it seems like a bug in mdbtools.
And ~9 months ago I tried to contact the mdbtools team a few times
but without any response, so I have another impression that mdbtools are
(or were) orphaned a little.

Have you tried the recipe from the PGeo manual?

"How to use PGeo driver with unixODBC and MDB Tools"

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot