[Gdal-dev] help about using GDAL in a Visual C++ 6

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Mar 15 15:36:14 EDT 2007

burak ata wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm a beginner in GIS staff, my aim is to read some geotiff files and get
> the RGB data in them. I was recommended to use gdal for that. Unfortunately
> I can not managed to use the gdal in my Visual C++ 6 project.

You can build/use GDAL with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.

> Could you please guide me about linking/including staffs?

First you need to get GDAL binaries for Windows.
You can build it yourself, in this case please refer the manual here:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_building.html

or get GDAL binaries from FWTools Kit:

http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Next step is to create a client application project and configure it
using Visual C++ project properties dialog box.
You have to tell the compiler where it should look for GDAL headers.
For this, add INCDIR path (see the manual URL above).
Next, you need to tell where to find GDAL libraries, adding LIBDIR to
linker paths.
Finally, you need to tell the linker what to link with by adding
gdal_i.lib to linker input files.

> Please don't forget that
> I'm a rookie :)

If you do not know Visual C++ well, how to create and configure
projects, please refer Visual C++ manual, MSDN, etc.

> NOTE: Any sample code, Visual C++ 6 project files are welcomed :)

The best place to start are GDAL and OGR tutorials available
on the Web page:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html
http://www.gdal.org/warptut.html
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_apitut.html