[Gdal-dev] Motion: Migrate from Bugzilla to Trac

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Mar 19 11:51:35 EDT 2007

After some discussion about it in IRC, here's a list of advantages to
Trac that we could come up with over bugzilla:
- Integration of source code, wiki, and bugs.  You can refer to
changesets/bugs/etc in wiki, commits, etc and the linkages happen
automatically.  For example, it a bug report you could say "in
r10000, hobu made a bonehead mistake" and r10000 would be a link to
that changeset in the source where it happened.  Everything is more
accessible by having it all in the same place.
- Trac brings the source code more front-and-center to the project.
Instead of being "that weird cvs thing that only the developers use,"
trac allows us to use the code to demonstrate in the wiki, commit
messages, and changesets.
- We get a wiki.  Low impedance, user-contributed content, here we come :)
- RSS feeds of activity
- Sane milestone and roadmap stuff (if we were to decide to use it)
- OSGeo SAC already maintains a number of Trac instances.  One less
separate thing on a separate server to maintain.
- The opportunity for writing or using existing plugins for things
like buildbot, doxygen, etc is greater.

There may be others, and I hope some Trac users will come forward
with the things I've missed.

Howard