[Gdal-dev] Support for other image formats

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 19 17:06:59 EDT 2007

Mel Davey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      New user here.  Is there a proper forum for entering requests for
> support for new image formats.  I have a desire to directly read ONC/TPC
> data files.  I currently read them with Global Mapper, export to
> GeoTIFF, then use them in my app, trying to remove the reliance on Glbal
> Mapper.

Mel / UnderDog,

You can submit feature requests via bugzilla, but generally speaking a
substantial feature request like a whole new format driver from someone
not prepared to implement or fund it is not likely to accomplish much.

I believe that ONC/TPC datasets are already readable.  Are the tiles not
NITF files?  GDAL directly supports reading NITF files.  Via the OGDI
connector it is even possible to treat RPF products as a dataset.

Based on a quick check, I can't seem to find any ONC/TPC dataset in my
data stash.  If you provide a *direct* pointer to where I can download
a test dataset I can do a quick verification that it is already supported.