[Gdal-dev] Projected vs Geographic Coordinate Systems

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Mon Mar 19 23:14:06 EDT 2007

Quick question: is it fair to say that most if not all georeferenced
raster images that one typically comes across use a projected (rather
than geographic) coordinate system?

Do typical GIS packages handle rasters with geographic (latitude /
longitude) coordinate systems? And what do they do when displaying
rasters in a projected coordinate system together with, say, vector
layers in a geographic coordinate system? Is it usual to convert the
vector layer to the projected coordinates or vice versa?

Just wondering if I can get away with avoiding having to handle
geographic coordinate systems in my (mostly raster focused) application
for the time being... Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Simon