[Gdal-dev] For SWIG maintainers: Move to SWIG 1.3.31

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Mar 31 14:31:57 EDT 2007

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I don't have a problem with that. What I still have a small problem with
> is the swig-generated wrappers in svn. Since the distribution generation
> machine generates the wrappers, could it also generate them for the
> nightly builds? Could it generate them for the svn?

Ari,

I should note that the mkgdaldist.sh *only* generates csharp bindings.
The rest are used from svn.  This exception for csharp was made at Tamas'
request, but in general the idea is that the binding maintainer should
commit a version of the bindings in SVN that they believe to be working
and stable.  Wasn't it your perl bindings that in the past request some
hand tweaking?

> I made a small addition to the OGR Perl bindigs (Move(dx,dy,dz) method
> Geometry class - I'm currently playing with moving geographic objects).
> I find it a bit distracting and additional thing to remember to update
> also the big generated bindings because of a small change in a .i file.

I can understand that, and if you are quite certain that you would like
the distribute bindings auto-generated you could modify mkgdaldist.sh to
do this.

But really, I encourage you to commit your changes as some folks who might
be interested in using the perl bindings against trunk may not have the
right swig version.  The current approach is intended to make svn accessable
to folks without futzing around with swig.