[Gdal-dev] uninstalling/upgrading gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 2 00:49:32 EDT 2007

Richard Greenwood wrote:
> I had built and installed gdal 1.3 on a linux computer, and recently
> did a build and install of 1.4 on the same computer. Daniel Morissette
> suggested that that might be the cause of some anomalies I am
> experiencing with mapserver. So my question - should I have
> uninstalled gdal 1.3 prior to installing 1.4, and if so, how should
> that be done?

Rich,

There is no mechanism to uninstall GDAL.  If you install them in the
same place (ie. /usr/local) the last installed will normally take precidence
over older installs.  Problems with duplication are usually most ugly when
you have copies of GDAL in different places. Such as one in /usr/lib and
on in /usr/local/lib.  Then it is easy to have a case where you build against
one set of include files, but end up picking up a different libgdal.so at
runtime.