[Gdal-dev] Help with building GDAL with HDF5 support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 7 11:59:10 EDT 2007

Filip Rooms wrote:
> configure --prefix=/home/frooms/gdal-test --with-hdf5=/usr/lib
>
> I get
> 	checking for H5Fopen in -lhdf5... no (yet with nm on libhdf5, it
> responds with 0000549d T H5Fopen, so the symbol is defined)

>   HDF5 support:              yes
>
> When I checked the dependencies of gdal after compilation with ldd,
> there was no mentioning of libhdf5, and linking ogrinfo failed
> (undefined references to the HDF5 stuff).
>
> What did I do wrong, and how can I build my GDAL then with HDF5 support?

Filip,

I believe you should be using --with-hdf5=/usr or perhaps even just
--with-hdf5.  If you use /usr/lib it will look for include files in
/usr/lib/include and libraries in /usr/lib/lib.

It may also be instructive to see what gets inserted in the GDALmake.opt
file at this point:

#
# HDF5 Support.
#
HAVE_HDF5     = no
HDF5_INCLUDE  =

For HDF5 support to work, HAVE_HDF5 needs to be yes, HDF5_INCLUDE needs
to include the appropriate -I directive, and LIBS needs to include the
appropriate library definitions (eg. -L/usr/lib -lhdf5 I imagine).