[Gdal-dev] GMT driver in OGR - How to activate it?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 8 22:32:19 EDT 2007

Joaquim Luis wrote:
> One little thing about this driver (well it applies to other ascii
> format as well)
> In GMT we have the possibility to select the printing format on the
> command line
> (for example, --D_FORMAT=%.1f)
> I noticed that figures are being written with 11 decimal places. This
> makes files
> grow by a significant amount which will be particularly noticeable with
> big files.
> So I guess the question is, isn't it desirable to implement a similar
> mechanism
> within OGR ascii formats? Or am I being too picky?

Joaquim,

I'd be willing to implement such a feature if there is significant
interest in it, but I'd rather see it held as one of several things
to do on a second pass through the driver since it is just an optimization.

Currently the driver uses the same formatting function used for forming
WKT geometries, which has some logic manage precision.