[Gdal-dev] open files from mysql

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 14 16:07:06 EDT 2007

Emanuele Conti wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm working on my final university thesis and I worked on the synergy
> between grass63 and mysql. In particular I also developed a patch for
> gdal that let it open raster map files directly from a mysql db (assumed
> that files are stored in mediumblob columns, for example).
> I'd like to know if this patch could be of any interest to gdal
> community and if chances are that the code could be accepted as a
> contribution in the source tree (I could also modify and optimize the
> code starting from any feedback, too).
> Practically what can be done with this patch is, for example:
>
> gdal_translate
> MYSQL:test,user=root,password=,host=localhost,port=3306,table=maps,file_name=a_map.dt1
> /tmp/a_map.tif
>
> or, from grass:
>
> r.in.gdal
> input=MYSQL:test,user=root,password=,host=localhost,port=3306,table=maps,file_id=33
> output=map_id_33.dt1

Emanuele,

I'm concerned that this is a rather specialized driver, and that folks might
actually want to use rasters from MySQL in a variety of other ways as well.
I would be happy to have the driver put in "spike" (an experimental area) in
subversion, but I'm not yet all that comfortable that this makes sense as
*the* mysql raster driver for GDAL.