[Gdal-dev] r.out.gdal vs gdal_translate vs gdalwarp

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Tue May 15 16:01:59 EDT 2007

'Frank Warmerdam-2' wrote:

> gdalwarp uses very different library interfaces and io strategies from
> gdal_translate.  So in some circumstances the output may differ.

> On careful review, the difference in the file in question is because
> gdal_translate uses the TIFFWriteScanline() interface to write the output
> file from within GTiffDataset::CreateCopy(), and this only writes as much
> of the final 'strip' of the file as is required to complete image area.
> But gdalwarp goes through the blockio interface which writes the complete
> final strip, even the portion that falls off the end of the file.

Frank,

Thanks much for your answer! I'm so glad the hear this is not a data
corruption issue or whatsoever.

However, wouldn't you consider it a missfeature that gdalwarp creates circa
25% bigger GeoTIFFs than gdal_translate does? The bigger deal it is the
bigger is the input dataset.  For me it is quite a difference whether I get
a 3 GB or 4 GB raster. Do you think gdalwarp could follow gdal_translate in
this regard? If possible of course.

Best,
Maciek