[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate problem with NITF RGBA image

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 17 11:37:37 EDT 2007

John Bowen wrote:
> I’m trying to convert a 16bpp, 4 band NITF image into a GeoTiff and have
> not been able to figure out the arguments necessary to properly convert
> it.  Accompanying the NITF image is a text description of the image,
> which contains (parts edited out with <snip> and </snip> for brevity:

John,

It is not obvious to me why this wouldn't have worked.  Could you supply
a gdalinfo report for the input file?  What were you using to view the
resulting TIFF files?

Actually, I'd suggest adding -co INTERLEAVE=PIXEL to your gdal_translate
command on the chance your tiff viewer does not support "SEPARATE" organized
TIFF files.

If the problem turns out to be the nitf reading, another step is to run
the nitfdump utility against the nitf file for more details info.  This
utility can be manually built by cd'ing into the gdal/frmts/nitf directory
in the source tree and doing "nmake /f makefile.vc nitfdump.exe" or
"make nitfdump" depending on platform.