[Gdal-dev] Supported projections/transformation in a GUI

Tomas R monshi at home.se
Mon May 28 07:34:12 EDT 2007

Ok folks, here is question to crack.

Simple idea:
User can pick either a file with geo-data in it or an image without.
If it is a file without geo-data the user is to be able to select which
projection/coordinate system the image is saved in and also set up the
coordinates of the edges of the map.  A transformation of coordinates
between map local projection and WGS84 will the be set up.

My big problem is the case with no geo-data. I need to set up an
interface which an ordinary user can use, a user with not to much
experience of projections and such stuff.

Firstly I need to sort out which, in GDAL, available projections that
are common. Just to reduce the list.
Next I need to find a friendly name to present them with.
If possible - sort them corresponding to where they are used, for
example  the user can select USA and get all the UTM-zones (and by
knowing the coordinates of the map select the right zone). Or replace
USA with a European country and their specific common projections.

I'm a bit lost, don't know where to start. The ideas above is just loose
ideas.

Suggestions? Any tools in GDAL that can help me? Anyway to look up the
available projections in GDAL? Anyway to sort out the "valid" projections?

Working with GDAL from C#.

Pls
/tomas