[Gdal-dev] Problem with AAIGrid's large integer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 30 13:25:00 EDT 2007

Etsushi Kato wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found that gdal-1.4.1/frmts/aaigrid/aaigriddataset.cpp reads data
> with integer >= 32768 as negative value (see
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2007-May/039832.html).  To
> import the data into grass, I need to modify aaigriddataset.cpp to use
> Int32 instead of Int16 as in the attached file.
>
> Is there any reason using Int16 for aaigrid format?  I hope this will
> be fixed in the next version of gdal.

Etsushi,

There is no compelling reason to use Int16 for the AAIGRID driver.  If
you want something done about this though, I'd urge you to file a bug
report properly against GDAL.

The downside of defaulting to Int32 for the driver is that it will really
bulk up output files and the Int32 data type is less widely support than
Int16.  And changing this behavior will no doubt cause some people some
pain.

But I think it may be necessary.