[Gdal-dev] Esri File geodatabase in GDAL?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 1 18:47:10 EDT 2007

Armin Burger wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> are there any plans for GDAL-OGR to support the "File geodatabase" of
> Esri in that was introduced in ArcGis 9.2?

Armin,

ESRI has indicated that the File Geodatabase will have an "Open API" but
I haven't seen any clear explanation of what that means and the folks at
ESRI I spoke to about it some months ago indicated they hadn't really
decided yet.  When that is worked out and published, I'd like to have
it implemented though doing a good job would likely require some funding.

I'd add I don't think it will be practical to reverse engineer the format,
under the assumption it will be quite complicated, but given sufficient
funding that might also be a possibility.