[Gdal-dev] Ubuntu NG Python bindings (was status of ldshared build? (or, other options for OSX framework build))

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 5 12:19:29 EST 2007

Howard Butler wrote:
> Things work ok on my ubuntu 7.10 server instance with stock setuptools.
> Are you still having trouble?

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to try again on that box. However, last
Friday, I got the same error on OS-X.

> I wonder if the generated code in svn is  a bit out of sync or something.

which might explain it. Is there a make command to re-run SWIG?

Also, this was with my attempt to turn off the python bindings in
configure, and build them with setup.py by hand instead, so that may
have resulted in the issue. Can you see any reason why that wouldn't
work right.

This stems from messing with the OS-X framework build -- I"m becoming
more convinced that the "right" way to do it is:

build gdal
install gdal
build python (and other) bindings
install python bindings

This is particularly a issue with the OS-X Framework build, as it is
doing some library renaming at the install stage, so the bindings get
built against the old names, and don't work (and all this is because
libtool doesn't really support Frameworks right). William has some ideas
about how to fix that, but I'm just thinking that the above build
procedure really the the most appropriate way to handle building
bindings of a lib that you want installed in the system for other uses
as well.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to try again.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov