[Gdal-dev] Questions building GDAL libraries for Windows OS

Nate Jennings nate at deltateck.com
Tue Nov 6 19:06:47 EST 2007

I know this has probably been stated several times and have never gone
through the build process to use the gdal libraries, so any solid direction
is much appreciated.

I am wanting to use the gdal libraries to create some image processing
functions using c++ (g++).

1.  Do I need to actually build the gdal libraries to use in my code?  I saw
on some examples from the internet that are using c++ that they "include"
the gdal_priv.h header file and others.  When I look at the bindaries I
downloaded from the gdal site, I saw the gdal_priv.h as well as others.  I
also noticed that the gdal_priv.h file also contains other header files from
gdal.  This leads me to believe that I do actually need to build the
libraries.

2. If this is the case, then can someone provide more specifics than what is
on the gdal site for building the libraries, preferably using g++ on a
Windows OS?  Since I am new at this aspect (I can program in Python and
C++), I need some additional guidance.  Step by step would be great.  Please
let me know of other software or utilities I need to download.  I have g++
installed on my system.

3.  Also, if I create a little executable for an image processing function,
do I need to include this compiled set of libraries with my exe?  and does
the user of the exe need to have the gdal libraries on their system?  Are
there any other dependencies I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any direction and assistance.

Nate

PS.  I was able to create a little filter program using Python and the
compiled gdal libraries( thanks to Howard Butler) which can be found on my
website below under Skillset--Application Development.

--
http://www.jenningsplanet.com