[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL SRTM hgt code

Rick Niles fniles at mitre.org
Thu Nov 15 14:14:34 EST 2007

Since SRTM hgt-files is the best public available terrain data around
(that I know of..), it seems like it's worth it to have a specific
front-end to handle it directly via GDALOpen().  I can see why some
would argue that's just a special case of a raw 2-byte file, but I don't
think it would be ugly to have a specific filter to handle this
extremely popular data.  There's 3-second and 1-second SRTM data and I'm
not sure you can auto-detect which is which.

What do you think?

Rick Niles.