[Gdal-dev] The perfect raster format - which is it?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 19 23:33:30 EST 2007

Hi

Sorry I should have listed bands and colour depth in my requirements.
Here is the revised list then:

- produce the most compact file size
- supports byte output ( no need for float or larger colour depths)
- support nodata
- is writeable by gdal
- and (for special bonus points) is readable by ArcView 3.x and ArcMap >=8
- only single band required
- lossless compression required

Currently we are using HFA which is great except for lack of nodata
support (theres a patch in gdal trac which adds that but it will be a
while before that filters down into distros etc after it has been
applied to gdal svn). Second snag with HFA is that it doesnt work (for
us anyway) on both ArcMap 8 and ArcView 3.x.

Tiff is our second choice but the compression seems to require some
kind of plugin in ArcMap so thats a bit of a bind...and the 4GB file
size limit is sometimes hit due to inability to use compression  :-(

So I was just wondering if there was anything else in terms of format
support that I may be overlooking.

Many thanks,

Regards

Tim