[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.4.3 ABI incompatability with 1.4.2

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Nov 21 13:45:30 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It appears this change:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/12517
>
> broke ABI compatability between GDAL 1.4.3 and GDAL 1.4.2.  In particular
> we absolutely cannot alter the virtual tables (or size - ie. layout of
> private data fields) of public classes such as OGRLinearRing.

Frank,

Unfortunately, I have to confirm it. This addition affects object size
and layout. I mindlessly applied the patch reviewing validity of
implementation, and forgetting influence on ABI.
Definitly my fault.

> I think we will need to retract the GDAL 1.4.3 release, announcing it as
> dangerous to propagate and attempt to issue a corrected GDAL 1.4.4 release
> as soon as is practical.

Yes, I can't see any better solution.

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Am I overreacting?

I don't think, it's dangerous.

> I think this helps hightlight the importance of making ABI compatability
> requirements for stable branches very clear, and furthermore introducing
> some mechanism to test the theory.

I'd wish if we could have a set of tests checking ABI compatibility
before every release.  Any idea how would that work?

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net