[gdal-dev] Help with getting started with GDAL on .NET

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 28 12:20:52 EST 2007

> Vish Uma wrote:
>> I am primarily a c# developer trying to get into GDAL programming using
>> python. I have been reading upon on Python already.

I'm confused -- do yu want to use GDAL with Python, or with C#? Or maybe
you mean Iron Python, which is a Python implementation based on the .net
CLR. If that's the case, then, in theory, you should be able to use the
C# bindings, but I have no idea how.

If you mean plain old python (sometimes known as CPython, as the runtime
is implemented in C), I'd start at python.org to make sure you've got
the basics of Python down first, then take a look at the various Python
scripts that come with GDAL to see how the GDAL bindings work. I'd also
check out numpy -- it's very helpful for the kind of stuff you might do
with GDAL.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov