[Gdal-dev] New phyton utility

Christian Mueller christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Tue Oct 2 02:38:34 EDT 2007

Hi, I am new to the gdal-dev list and have some questions.

For my project I had to tile 4 different maps of Austria and to build tiled
overviews. I tried to handle this with the gdal utilities but I had very long
runtimes.

Inspired from gdal_mergy.py I developped a counterpart called gdal_tile.py

This utility has the following features

tile an image (each tile in its own file)
retile a tiled image
create tiled overviews (building a pyramid)
creating shape files for all the generated tiles for providing the basic for
fast access
reproject the new  tiles

Searching the internet shows me that I am not the only guy having this
problem, so I would like to contribute this python module.

What are the next steps

mcr