[Gdal-dev] Building on Windows with Python 2.5

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 3 12:38:39 EDT 2007

Rob McCulley wrote:

> I’m trying to make the migration to Python version 2.5.
> The build runs just fine, as far as I can see.  There don’t appear to be
> any errors.  The bin directory is populated with all the utility
> programs, various python scripts, the data directory, the html directory
> and the pymod directory.

How are you building? Did you build the Python bindings? I need to get
up to speed on building with VS, but I'm pretty sure you need to build
GDAL the usual way, then build the python extensions with:

python setup.py build

> fine.  When I copy the contents of the pymod directory over to the
> site-packages directory in Python25

You should install with:

python setup.py install

make sure you're using the same python for building and installing.

>     import _gdal
>
> ImportError: No module named _gdal

This looks like you haven't built the extension.

 >  Is this a problem with having both 2.4
> and 2.5 installed on the system?

It shouldn't be, as long as you make sure to build against the same one
you install it in.

> Alternatively, this seems like as good a time as any to move over to the
> next generation bindings.

Yes, it is!

> How does one go about building the NG bindings with MSVC2003?

I'd expect an option in the nmake.opt file, but I don't see it listed on
this Wiki page:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnWindows

Let us know if you figure it out!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov