[Gdal-dev] translating HDF4 to netCDF, HDF in --formats, but translate says "unsupported"

Edward Fialkowski wef1 at cec.wustl.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:50:45 EDT 2007

Hey thanks for that link, it helps out a lot.  Unfortunately, I don't see
any SUBDATASET_n_NAME metadata printed out.

Here's my output:
[edfialk at niceguy apps]$ ./gdalinfo no2track20060101.hdf
Driver: HDF4/Hierarchical Data Format Release 4
Size is 512, 512
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  Authors=H.J. Eskes, K.F. Boersma
  Affiliation=KNMI (Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute)
  Email=eskes at knmi.nl , boersma at knmi.nl
  Data_created_by=TM4-NO2A, version 1.04 (TM4 at 2x3 deg)
  Creation_date= 2 Jun 2006
  Unit_of_NO2_column=1e15 molecules/cm2
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  512.0)
Upper Right (  512.0,    0.0)
Lower Right (  512.0,  512.0)
Center      (  256.0,  256.0)

I put this file (19 megs) up at http://niceguy.wustl.edu/no2track.hdf
just in case.

So, I can see now how it has no bands, I think.  I'm not sure how to get at
these subdatasets, if there are any, so what do you think I should do?

Thanks again.
-Ed