[Gdal-dev] OGR and the version of DBF of its shapefile driver, problem in ArcGIS 8

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Thu Oct 4 10:22:48 EDT 2007

Greetings,

I think I've hit this problem with ArcGIS 8.*:

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=21487

dbfdump reports that the dbf files that I've created with OGR are
version 0x03 and I haven't seen dbf files that are a part of shapefiles,
which are of other versions.

The shapefiles I've created with OGR are readable with ArcView 3.* and
if I resave the dbf there, it can be opened with ArcGIS 8.*

I tried using only upper case letters in column names and using width 20
& precision 15, as I noticed ArcView to do, but still the dbf cannot be
opened in ArcGIS. The shapefile opens and geometries are shown, also the
dbf can be separately opened (I don't know the details), and ArcGIS sees
the header since it shows a query tool, but the attributes table can't
be opened.

Does anybody have any idea what might be the reason? Where's more info
on dbf versions?

Cheers,

Ari