[Gdal-dev] ogr and utf-8 encoding

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:37:25 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm converting a CSV file that contains names which are utf-8 encoded
into a shapefile with ogr in Python.  It appears from my research that
there is currently no way to specify an encoding type with ogr for the
fields in the target shapefile.  I see that there is an RFC to
"enhance" gdal/ogr so that it can respect input encoding, but am not
sure if I've missed another obvious way to preserve the diacritics in
my input data.

Could someone please let me know if, A) there is a way to preserve
unicode encoding from source and pass it into a new shapefile, B) what
the status is on RFC-5, "Unicode support in GDAL", and when this
functionality might be available.

Thanks very much,

Roger