[Gdal-dev] Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 5 18:52:29 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Frank, are you open to a little re-arranging of FWTools to play better
>> with a stock python?

> I don't think it would be prudent to see FWTools as a solution for this
> particular problem.

I was actually thinking it a bit like the other way around -- once we
have a nice Windows installer, FWtools could use it.

> First, FWTools is bound to the old bindings for the
> time being (because they are needed by OpenEV).

Ah -- yes, keeping that in sync is critical.

> Second, I'm afraid of change and complexity and FWTools is already
> near the bounds of my ability to  produce it as a minor sideline.

Fair enough -- I actually think this could make it easier, but any
change is work, no doubt about it. maybe keep it in mind if you need to
make changes in the future anyway, like if OpenEV upgrades, etc.

> I am in favor of us producing an easily and naturally installable Python
> package for win32 that corresponds with our stable release binaries, as
> long as there is someone willing to step up to the plate for that portion of the
> work.

I hope someone will -- I'll keep trying to get a build environment
working on Windows -- but it's just easier for me on OS-X and Linux, so
I don't know if I'll get to it. If I do, I'll put together the binaries.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov