[Gdal-dev] Shapfiles and Projections

Dean Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 9 14:55:07 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

The second link sometimes appears dead, but here is cut-and-paste from the document.

.shp- the file that stores the feature geometry. Required.
.shx- the file that stores the index of the feature geometry. Required.
.dbf- the dBASE file that stores the attribute information of features. Required.
.sbnand .sbx- the files that store the spatial index of the features. Optional. These two files can be created in ArcView. See ArcView's on-line help for more information.
.fbnand .fbx- the files that store the spatial index of the features for shapefiles that are read-only. Optional. These two files can be created in ArcView. See ArcView's on-line help for more information.
.ain and .aih - the files that store the attribute index of the active fields in a table or a theme's attribute table. Optional. These two files can be created in ArcView. See ArcView's on-line help for more information.
.prj - the file that stores the coordinate system information. Optional. This file can be created with and is used by the ArcView Projection Utility. It is not used by ArcView GIS Version 3.x or older versions, or by ARC/INFO versions previous to version 8.0.
.xml - metadata for ArcInfo 8.0, for using shapefiles on the Internet. Optional.
A good summary of the file types used by ESRI.

Cheers,
Dean