[Gdal-dev] import _gdal issue

Simon Hope SimonH at geobiz.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 17:22:25 EDT 2007

Hello,

I've been trying to get featureserver to run against PostGIS - to do so
there's a dependency on GDAL and the Python Bindings and I've run into a
bit of difficulty. If any body can help then I'd appreciate it....I may
well be missing something obvious as this is my first foray into GDAL
(or I could just be an eejit -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/special_report/1999/02/99/e-cyclopedia/164331
9.stm

So here's what I've done so far:

Installed Python24
Installed GDAL gdalwin32-1.4.2 from
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/
Installed GDAL python bindings (Python_GDAL-1.4.2.win32-py2.4.exe) again
from http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/

I've also done the necessary featureserver configuration
(http://featureserver.org/pipermail/featureserver/2007October/000094.htm
l)

When I try to make a request to featureserver:

http://localhost:8080/featureserver/featureserver.cgi/scribble/all.atom?
maxfeatures=5

I get the following response:

An error occurred: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be
found.
  File "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\featureserver\FeatureServer\Server.py", line
239, in cgiHandler
    service = Server.load(*cfgfiles)
  File "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\featureserver\FeatureServer\Server.py", line
60, in _load
    datasources[section] = cls.loadFromSection(
  File "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\featureserver\FeatureServer\Server.py", line
35, in _loadFromSection
    module = __import__("%s.%s" % (module_type, type), globals(),
locals(), type)
  File "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\featureserver\FeatureServer\DataSource\OGR.p
y", line 2, in ?
    import ogr, osr
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\ogr.py", line 33, in ?
    import _gdal

It seems to be failing at the import _gdal statement. I have run the
following statement in pythonwin:

>>> import _gdal

And don't get any errors and have access to the members on that module.

Are there any tests I could run to ensure that GDAL and the python
bindings are as they should be?

Cheers

Simon