[Gdal-dev] Shapfiles and Projections

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Oct 9 17:57:43 EDT 2007

Dean Mikkelsen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The second link sometimes appears dead, but here is cut-and-paste from
> the document.

There are some new optional additions described here
http://tinyurl.com/ypsgn4. The additions are:

* .atx — An .atx file is created for each shapefile or dBASE attribute
index created in ArcCatalog. ArcView GIS 3.x attribute indexes for
shapefiles and dBASE files are not used by ArcGIS. A new attribute
indexing model has been developed for shapefiles and dBASE files.

* .ixs — Geocoding index for read-write shapefiles.

* .mxs — Geocoding index for read-write shapefiles (ODB format).

I've not seen the format of these extra files defined or specified
anywhere though I first heard about them in 2001.

Thanks to the prompting of this thread I've put together a summary of
the extensions at http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/Shapefiles

cheers,

--
matt wilkie