[Gdal-dev] moving fwtools/gdal programs from a 32 bit windows server to a 64 bit windows server

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:41:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

Since I always (until now) use FWTools natively as a 32 bit application
could someone please explain how I would convert FWTools to a 64 bit
application so that I can run programs like gdalwarp, gdaltindex, and
gdal_translate without the extra overhead of emulation from 32 bit to the 64
bit Windows server.

Thanks,

John Mitchell

On 9/30/07, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 9/28/07, John Mitchell <mitchelljj98 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are moving fwtools/gdal programs from a 32 bit windows server to a 64
> bit
> > windows server and I would like to know how to best take advantage of
> the
> > server's 64 bit architecture when running gdal programs like gdalwarp,
> > gdaltindex, and gdal_translate.
>
> John,
>
> For the forseeable future the FWTools binaries will remain
> 32bit mode.
>
> I know some folks are building for win64 but I don't know
> the details.  I am not convinced there will be much performance
> benefit other than potentially large address spaces.
>
> Best regards,
> --

> warmerdam at pobox.com

John J. Mitchell