[Gdal-dev] ng-python build

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 15 20:06:12 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> This is a different --prefix from the GDAL configure.  This one is for
> setup.py, and is set to the same as the GDAL configured prefix.

right. I'm arguing that it should NOT be set the same as the GDAL
prefix. As a rule, people are not going to want to install their Python
bindings in the same prefix as the GDAL lib.

> python setup.py install --prefix=$(DESTDIR)$(prefix)

So that shouldn't be there. If we want to support people installing in
odd places, then maybe a --python-prefix option to ./configure is in
order, or just let them run setup.py themselves

In fact, most of the python packages I've seen that depend on other libs
(PIL, wxPython), have you building the main lib with make, then running
setup.py to build the python stuff -- rather than having make run that
for you.

I may be wrong here, but I think that:

a) If folks have python itself installed to a non-standard location,
then distutils will take care of it for them.

or

b) they really do want to install their extensions elsewhere (maybe
because they don't have write permissions where python is installed). In
this case, then it's probably a different location to wherever they are
putting GDAL anyway -- i.e., they won't have a python packages dir
inside the GDAL tree -- it would be separate, like maybe
~/python/site_packages or something.

> I have a test build online now.

Was it built with:

./configure --with-macosx-framework

make

make install

???

If so, I'll give that a try.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov