[Gdal-dev] gdalwarp: difference between -tps and -order 1

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Oct 18 07:51:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm georeferencing historical maps that are not geometrically correct.
When I warp them with control points to a modern map, using a first
order rigid transformation (gdalwarp -order 1), the resulting,
georeferenced map will keep its original form. This means that the
position of the control points on the georeferenced historical map is
different from those on the modern map. Warping with  a thin plate
spline (gdalwarp -tps) results in a georeferenced map with the control
points exactly on the same place on both maps, which is what I want of
course.

I can see the difference between both methods visually, but I would like
also to obtain the numerical coodinates of the control points after
warping them with both methods. That way I can compute the differences
between both methods and construct a distortion map. So essentially I
would like to have a warping program that does not output a raster, but
produces the coordinates of the transformed input control points. I
already did this for the first order transformation (pretty elementary),
but how could this be done for the thin plate spline transformation?
Where should I look in the gdal codebase to extract the algorithm?
Alternatively, if an expert would program this, how much would that cost?

Jan