[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL wince bindings?

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 06:11:14 EDT 2007

2007/10/19, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:

> > To be honest I'm praying that there is some relatively simple
> > solution like giving swig certain extra parameters, or writing a few
> > typemaps or something, but most likely I'm guessing it won't be that
> > simple or you guys would have already done it, but if you could help
> > me out and point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate
> > it (and of course you could add the code to the GDAL source tree once
> > its done).
>
> Unfortunately, I think it won't be that simple but let's wait for Tamas'
> opinion. As I said, he is the C# and SWIG guru here.

Hi guys,

One of the issues around SWIG I'm aware of is that the .NET compact
framework doesn't support HandleRef-s that the current implementation
extensively uses.
Therefore we shall have to reimplement the default csbody and related
typemaps for using IntPtr-s along with GC.KeepAlive() or SafeHandle to
achieve similar results.
Due to the problems related to the memory ownership and the early
garbage collection I had to do such things in the current interface so
this part of the problems can be managed easily I think.

> Tamas, I'd be thankful if you could share your experience and knowledge
> in this area. Perhaps you guys could collaborate in the area of C#
> bindings development for GDAL Windows CE port.

The other fundamental problem is that how the interface would fit into
the current build process. The C part of the interface might have to
be compiled along with the other parts of the GDAL/OGR project. It
would be somewhat easier to support a makefile based build process
from this aspect.

I recall that in the recent days I've chat someone who promised to
send me a working makefile and a related test project that should be
made to work...

Best regards,

Tamas