[Gdal-dev] Python next-gen bindings enabled in trunk

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Oct 19 11:01:04 EDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>> Another issue to consider: where to install the python script
>>> programs.  Currently they aren't installed at all.
>> Hmm. the usual place for python scripts installed with distutils
>> in the python scripts dir. On Linux, I think that's usually
>> something like /usr/local/bin. With an OS-X Framework build, it's
>> something like:
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python......2.5/bin
>> (or something like that, inside the framework anyway -- not on a
>> Mac now)
>> However, it might be more appropriate to put it in the GDAL
>> "prefix" location, as, ideally, fact that the scripts are python
>> is an implementation detail.
>> It may not matter much, as either location should be on the users
>> PATH.
>
> Chris,
>
> I agree.  I think python scripts should be installed by the makefile,
> not setup.py, and should end up whereever the other utility programs
> are installed.

I left that thought open, but in the gdal prefix/bin is good, and
it's where the old-gen python scripts are installed.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy