[Gdal-dev] Universal GDAL build on OS-X ??

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Oct 26 15:58:45 EDT 2007

I'm not sure how to work this in with cpl_config as a configurable
item, I always patch after configuration.  The result would have to
be as I said, or something similar - since WORDS_BIGENDIAN and
HOST_FILLORDER are separate items, they could each have their own
__BIG_ENDIAN__ test.

Since libtiff is the only other internal lib with an endian setting
(HOST_FILLORDER), this should work for it, but I haven't tested it.
There is also HOST_BIGENDIAN in libtiff (tif_open.c, line 352), but
this isn't set in cpl_config for some reason, maybe something to do
with the MDI_SUPPORT setting there?

Also, the universal flags don't behave well with libtool.  I used to
do ugly patches to all the makefiles to get it to work, until I found
the ccub trick.  But ccub is not a standard tool, so we can't depend
on it.

The main problem is that adding flags to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS
can create duplicate entries for -isysflag (a lot of packages add
both CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to the linking stage).  This causes an error
in compilation and linking.  Duplicate -arch flags is OK.  Libtool
may also strip them out as unknown flags (I'm not sure if libtool 2
knows about them yet), I'd have to dig out my old notes to see how I
used to handle that.