[Gdal-dev] 1.4.3 build and NG bindings

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Oct 29 15:29:06 EDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Brian Hamlin wrote:

> Hi William
>
> my path is simply /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin
> if I read you correctly, you are suggesting I have /usr/local/bin
> before /usr/bin
>  I just haven't adjusted unix t that extent at all - maybe its fine

/usr/local/bin should be before /usr/bin.  Otherwise any user
additions in /usr/local/bin that also exist in /usr/bin will never be
used.  Python is one of those, if you opted for the python symlinks
(the Unix Tools option).

But the Profile Changes option should have added a direct path to the
Python binary to your PATH.  If it's there, it also should be before /
usr/bin.

> there is some translation from those two to the /System/Library and /
> Library/Frameworks dirs
>  I havent messed with that
>
> I think my suggestion on the list for the path will work for people,
> regardless
> of course I appreciate your insight - you move mountains with your
> custom packages

It should be a suggestion for when there are problems, as a last
resort.  In normal situations, it should just work.  If not, check
PATH settings.  Then force it, if all else fails, with the pymoddir
option.

> last thing while I have you here...
> the XCode projects aren't actually good for debugging.. we spoke
> about this a tiny bit months ago
> I am probably not the one to fix it. but I have floated a proposal
> to Frank that I work on some bugs for 1.5
>  in which case I pretty much will have to make some kind of projects
> that work to debug
>  potentially thats a big topic!

I'm ditching my Xcode project for GDAL 1.5.  I'm working on getting
the configure-make framework build back to a usable state - mostly
ready, except for the ng-python build.

Do you know anything about libtool?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy