[Gdal-dev] loading metadata into NITF from separate image format

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 10:39:55 EDT 2007

Jared Rubin wrote:
> Frank,
>   So as long I pass all the name/value pairs from my own image library format
> that I writing as a plugin to gdal to SetMetadata and SetMetadataItem, then
> the nitf library should write them out during the conversion? As long as I
> set them appropriately in SetMetadataItem.

Jared,

Sorry, I'm afraid I was unclear on this.  The NITF writer does not generally
capture and store metadata from the source dataset except for a very few
specially named metadata items.

(The above statement is not true if the PAM mechanism is enabled.  If it is
enabled all source metadata *should* be captured in a .aux.xml "spill file",
but will still not be embedded in the NITF file itself)

>   In addition  if did want to pass additional name/value pairs that would be
> used for the RPC00A or USE00A tags, then I could set them and then extend the
> nitf library to write out the USE00A and RPC00A tags. Looking at the nitf
> driver, it doesn't support writing USE00A and RPC00A tags. It does read them
> though.

That is correct.