[Gdal-dev] Warping image...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 11 11:00:28 EDT 2007

Mario Cavicchi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a little problem with a modis image, i must to reproject it in
> UTM meter. I use the function GDALCreateWarpOperation and i must to set
> nOrder = 3. The output image is correct, but the left and right sides
> are wrong.
> I don't able to explain where is the problem, but the result is this
> http://members.ferrara.linux.it/cavicchi/tmp/modis.jpg

Mario,

It has been my experience that 3rd order polynomials can easily do some
pretty odd things.  I assume what you are seeing is some sort of "wrap
back on itself" property of the polynomials that were computed.  I'm not
clear on whether this is a defect of the computations done in GDAL or
whether it is inherent in a best fit for the control points available.

Generally speaking I just avoid polynomials of order higher than 2, or
sometimes I will try the thin plate spline (-tps) option.

It would have been helpful in reviewing your problem to have the a pointer
to the input file.  It is always possible there is something really funky
about the control points, but we don't have much to work with to figure that
out.