[Gdal-dev] OGR OLEDB Provider

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 11 21:20:42 EDT 2007

Folks,

I am trying to go through the issues identified in the GDAL PROVENANCE.TXT
for the OSGeo Incubation with the aim of resolving them all for the GDAL/OGR
1.5.0 release.  Those that I can't resolve directly as I go, I am filing in
Trac with a "License" category.  One sticky one is some code in the OLE DB
provider.

While the problems might be resolvable by getting clear release statements
from the owners of the code from which parts were derived, I think it could
be tricky.  Also, the OLE DB provider isn't really a core component of
GDAL/OGR (just a layered add on) and it isn't widely used.  So I'm proposing
to just move it out of the GDAL trunk, perhaps into the "/spike" area of
subversion.

I've documented this issue in:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1817

This email is soliciting feedback on the issue - primarily to see if there
are any objections to my taking this step.

The OLE DB provider would continue to be available, but it would not be
part of the standard GDAL distribution.  It would also likely get less
love and attention than it does now (which isn't really very much).