[Gdal-dev] PostGIS and OGR - new try

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sun Sep 16 13:36:39 EDT 2007

I am new to PostGIS, and am trying out the dataset that Refractions has
posted for the FOSS4G Integration showcase. In the main foss database
there is a table called border.

The spatial_ref_sys for that database calls out a projection "NAD83 /
BC Albers"...

If I run,    ogr2ogr -f KML t.kml PG:dbname=TheRightName border
a KML file is produced, but the coordinates of the linestring are not
converted to Google Earth projection. The psatial_ref_sys is not
'automagically' detected.

ogr2ogr -s_srs NAD83 xxxx
still not usable results ?

ogr2ogr -s_srs NAD83 -t_srs WGS84 xxx
still no good

   Since the output of KML will always be in the projection GE uses,
should -t_srs be necessary?  Perhaps I am completely missing something
basic?

thanks in advance
  -Brian /darkblueB