[Gdal-dev] Import Gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 19 15:12:50 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:
> It's not bad now -- just needs an easier installation, and the gdal
> stuff really should be put in a package. Looking in my site-packages
> dir, I have:
>
> ogr.py
> ogr.pyc
> osr.py
> osr.pyc
> gdal.py
> gdal.pyc
> gdalconst.py
> gdalconst.pyc
> gdalnumeric.py
> gdalnumeric.pyc
> _gdalmodule.so
>
> That's quite a bit of clutter. All that really should be in a "gdal"
> package directory instead. That would require a change to everyone's
> import statements, however. (that's th eonly change, though -- not bad,
> really)
>
> It would be nice to make the change while keeping the old way around for
> a version or two (deprecated) -- on *nix, that's easy, just put in some
> symlinks -- on Windows, I don't know how to cleanly do it.

Christopher,

I sense I'm going to be tag teamed by you and Howard in Victoria and that
the gdal bindings are likely to be made into a "proper" package in a
subdirectory ... perhaps even for 1.5.

I've always resisted because of my concern that it will break existing
scripts which will require at least some minimal change to the import
statements.  I'm a serious stick-in-the-mud when it comes to backwards
compatibility.  But ultimately if the Python folks want to do it, we will
do it.  I'd obviously be happier about it if you can do it in a way that
is minimally disruptive.