[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL's Python Identity Crisis (was Re: Import Gdal)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 21 00:59:57 EDT 2007

Howard Butler wrote:
> This is something that Frank is probably sick of me whining about.

Well, I, for one, am glad someone else is whining!

>  I'm
> willing to make the changes, but the consequence of doing so is we have
> to suck up the testing, question answering, and other grief a change
> like this will likely cause.  Can you do that with me?

Sure I'd be glad to help.

> I think we
> should only do this for the next-gen bindings,

I agree, though it might be better from a confusion stand point to have
them both the same -- I'm really not sure.

> The other issue is if we namespace the Python GDAL packages, what do we
> pick for a name?

Darn -- why are they different?

Anyway, I vote for package name gdal, with modules gdal, osr, ogr. So
you could do:

from gdal, import gdal, osr, ogr

(to convert from old code).

However, I did have an idea about covering the transition by having the
old names be small modules that raised a deprecation warning, then
imported everything from the new package (did I post that idea on the
list? I thought so). However, if we wanted to do that, then we couldn't
have a package "gdal", and a module "gdal" in the same place, so we'd
need to use another name: maybe osgeo, like C#, (why does Java use
"org"? that's odd.)

Anyway, the name is the least of my concerns.

Are you going to FOSS4G next week? I was thinking of working on this at
the sprint.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov