[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL's Python Identity Crisis (was Re: Import Gdal)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 11:58:01 EDT 2007

Brian Hamlin wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>>
>>> I think we should only do this for the next-gen bindings,
>>
>> I agree, though it might be better from a confusion stand point to
>> have them both the same -- I'm really not sure.
>
> Why not  leave the old name space with the old Python bindings, and
> preserve the old test suite in a folder with those names, all as legacy.
> Then the new namespace goes with the new bindings and (perhaps the same)
> tests but in a new folder with the new invocation. Sounds like a clean
> setup.

Brian,

No, this would not be acceptable.  For the near future old and new
bindings will be supported, and the test suite has to be able to run
against both.  It is acceptable for the test suite to skip specific tests
when run against old or new bindings but most of it should continue to
work with both for at least 1.5.

(BTW, when I say unacceptable, I mean I would vote -1 on such a proposal.
I'm not the final word obviously - I could be overridden)

> That way if you ever look at a test file, you know for certain which
> generation you are looking at.
> ps- extra bonus, do that for 1.5 and leave 1.4.3 working as it stands :)
>
> caveat - I dont use Python much

I use python every day, and write and maintain many of the test scripts.