[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal_translate unable to allocate buffer

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 13:49:47 EDT 2007

Even Rouault schrieb:
> Wolfgang,
>
> I think this is a known issue :  VRT made of several thousands of single
> images don't work (on Linux at least). Currently the VRT driver first opens
> all images before doing any translation to GTIF. And at a moment, you reach
> the limit of maximum simultaneous open files, which is 1024 on a typical
> Linux system.

I know that limit on linux. Windows was able to handle higher counts
without knowing the actual limit.

> See http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1781.
> In this ticket, I've attached a patch called
> gdal_svn_gdalbuildvrt_with_proxy.patch which is not included in GDAL. It
> works for me (I can handle big VRT with it), but contains
> not-really-good-looking pieces of code that should be improved for inclusion
> in GDAL tree...  You would need to
> add -DUSE_GDAL_PROXY_FOR_VRT  -DI_CAN_LIVE_WITH_THIS_GDAL_PROXY_NASTY_THING
> on compilation line to get the best of it...

I don't really know how to compile gdal on my own. I only have limited
experience in Fortran but absolutely no knowledge in C. Need to look for
a (free) compiler.

> We should maybe document that problem in the VRT driver documentation for the
> moment and hope that someone comes with a better fix.
> I think a better fix would be easier if we can extend the VRT XML format to
> add information about source files, such as width and height.

The documentation should really be extended to show the limits of the
VRT driver. VRT provides really nice features but perhaps there should
be a SVRT (Simple VRT) which is limited to same tile size, same file
type, same compression) and why is there a need to open all tiles at
all? You need to open only that files where you need to read from?!

I really would like the VRT driver to be improved.

Regards
Wolfgang